Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day Five - Who Knew Wheat was the Bad Guy?

I can't believe it has been 5 days already!  I thought I would be miserable at this point, missing my easy carbs and dying for anything with a bunch of melted cheese on top.  Not the case!  I am happy and satisfied with the diet we are eating.  I wonder how much of this is still because I am on the "honeymoon" period of the diet, how much of it is just true willpower, and how much of this is actually true.  Perhaps I truly am satisfied and happy on a Paleo diet?

I have continued to read more and more of Robb Wolf's book, as well as doing more and more research on the Internet about eating Paleo.  The research is amazing.  It is so convincing.  There are so many reasons to NOT eat wheat and its by-products.  There is a part of me that is almost angry that this information is not more readily available.  I mean, I've been living by the food pyramid endorsed by our government for years.  But now that I am reading more and more about how our digestive track works with the different types of foods we eat, it is truly scary to think how many people might be helped dramatically by just giving up wheat products.

I am still only 5 days in, so I am not convinced yet that this is something that I can do long-term, nor something that may have a major effect on my physical self.  All I know is that so far, I am impressed with the results.  I have energy.  My blood sugar readings are staying low.  My allergies are better than they have been in weeks.  And the strangest one of all, I have suffered from plantar fasciitis for over a year...miserably...and I realized this morning that my heel and foot haven't hurt now for several days.  If this diet can help cure my plantar fasciitis, then that in and of itself is enough reason to keep going!

It's a learning process as I go....but the more I learn, the more I am convinced that this lifestyle might be something that can dramatically change the quality and quantity of the number of years I have left on this place we call earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment