Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day Fifteen - I am Becoming a Top Paleo Chef!

I have always been a good cook.  I have never been one to just follow a recipe.  I very rarely even use recipes.  I am just one of those people that throws some of this and some of that together and it usually turns out pretty darn good.  This is a bad thing when someone asks how to make my famous chicken enchiladas or borracho beans...because it's not like I really have many things written down...they are just in my head on how to do it...

So, that being said, so far, this Paleo thing hasn't been too horribly difficult as far as cooking.  I am pretty darn adept at knowing what herbs and spices work together, different ways to prepare meats, and just coming up with something pretty tasty off the cuff.

But, tonight's dinner was so darn tasty, I am going to actually write it down for future reference so that I can make it again!  Plus, maybe some of you fellow cave men and women might want to try it as well!  ;-)

Our entree was grilled salmon.  I bought a nice side of fresh salmon with the skin still on.  About 30 minutes before grilling, I made the following marinade after looking at several different recipes online and adjusting to  our flavor preferences:

  • 2 T. brown mustard
  • 3 T. tamari sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped fine
  • probably 1/2-1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • probably about 4 T. olive oil.
  • good generous pinch of cayenne pepper
I split the marinade into 2 equal parts.  One part went on the non-skin side of the salmon to sit for awhile.  One part went into a gallon baggie with a bunch of trimmed fresh asparagus.

While all of that was marinating, I made a quick cucumber/tomato/sweet onion salad with a balsamic dressing and fired up the grill to start heating.  Once the grill was ready, I threw the asparagus into a quick foil packet and threw that on one side and the fish on the other.  After about 5-6 minutes, I flipped everything and let it cook another 5-6 minutes.  After pulling off the grill, I let the fish rest a bit, peeled off the skin and sliced the long filet into individual serving sizes and served with the other half of the lemon cut into wedges....I cut open the foil packet of asparagus being careful to watch out for all the steam escaping...and we ate away...

Delicious-ness!

If this is how the cave men ate...then I am all for being a cave mom and cooking in my cave world for my cave family!

No comments:

Post a Comment